Monday, March 14, 2011

Grayson's first two weeks at work

Being a mother and having to work is very difficult. I have always been very fortunate that I can take my babies to work with me. I started taking Remy to work when he was 3 weeks old, he came with me for two years up until I left for maternity leave. It has been such a joy to be able to work and also take care of my children full time as well. I'll be honest sometimes I feel like punching myself in the face for adding on all of the stress of juggling kids and work but I get the best of both worlds this way. With Remy I got to watch all of his milestones, well almost all of them because he would do some of them when I walked out of the room. For example the first time he rolled over we were home and Shaun and I were playing with Remy. Shaun said, "Becky hurry and get the video camera I think he is going to roll over". I kid you not as soon as I walked out of the room Shaun yelled that he had in fact rolled over without me watching. Or another time I missed a milestone I was at work and had to leave for an emergency c-section. My nurse is nice enough that she said she would watch Remy while I was gone. I wasn't gone for even 50 minutes and I got back and she said he had just started walking up and down the halls by himself. Oh sure he had taken 1-2 steps from me to Shaun but he just started full out walking around in those few minutes.


Remy does not come to work with me anymore for the most part. He has come a few afternoons to take his nap but usually is at the babysitters. You can see in the picture that he was sad at work because someone else was in his bed. During the end of my pregnancy with Grayson I actually had a lot of stress about what to do with Remy. I knew I would not be able to have two children in the office and almost felt like I was betraying Remy by having someone else watch him during the day. Luckily one of my friends in the neighborhood watches children and has been babysitting Remy for me 2-3 days a week. He loves it which makes me happy. With Remy relinquishing his office mascot title, it is now Grayson's turn to become a full time working baby.
Grayson has many jobs to do. He is the office mascot, he helps me with my charts by sitting on my lap and supervising, and he also is in charge of "tummy time". I most certainly wouldn't fit in the crib to do tummy time so he does it. So far he has enjoyed work as much as a 2 month old can enjoy it. The nurses certainly enjoy holding him as well. Our first two weeks were pretty crazy because I was the only provider in the office and was also on call. We survived though with lots of help from the nurses holding Grayson so I could go and see patients.


One thing is for sure, Grayson loves loves loves tummy time. He is perfectly content on his tummy and has liked it from day 1. He will happily lay on his tummy and look in his little mirror at work for like 20 minutes at a time. Shaun calls him his little turtle because Grayson likes his head so far back all of the time and looks like a turtle in a shell with his head cranked up like that. Remy hated tummy time and wouldn't do it for more than a few seconds before he was screaming like I was just torturing him. Remy didn't even roll over until he was like 5-6 months old because he wasn't ever on his tummy long enough to learn. He never army crawled and wouldn't roll around to get places. He was just content to sit still until one day he just started crawling normally when he was 10 1/2 months old. I think Grayson will definitely do these things earlier. He can roll over now if his head gets whipping around too much. Those big heads on those little bodies just are hard to control. He will try to get his little legs under him already, I say it is cute now but I'm definitely in for some mischief later on.

No comments: