Monday, January 17, 2011

Grayson's arrival!!

December 29, 2010
Well I made it through the holidays to my induction day of December 29. My pregnancy was pretty uneventful thankfully, but I have such bad hip pain that I was ready to be done. Shaun and I got up bright and early that morning and my older sister Ashley came over to the house to wait for Remy to wake up. We headed to the hospital at 6:30 and got all checked in and I was at 3 cm. With Remy I was already at 5 cm when I went to the hospital but this being my second one I had hopes that this wouldn't take all day.


Once we got checked and my IV and Pit going I started dilating. I got to about a 5 and decided that I wanted to get my epidural. My epidural was put in around 9:30. My dad/doctor then got to the hospital to break my water. Shaun and I had talked about how it would be fun to have had my water break on it's own and just go through the whole "we have to get to the hospital!!" type of situation but that didn't happen. At 10:30-ish my dad broke my water it seriously was like a dam broke. I have never seen so much water or seen it come out so fast, and I have seen my fair share of water breaking. I am so glad now that it didn't break before hand because I think it would have been a total "movie" type scene.

Shaun made sure that I had plenty of cherry flavored ice chips, my favorite. It is like eating a delicious slushy and I was so thirsty. We had several visitors. My mom stayed with us most all of the morning and Shaun's parents came around 11:30. I dilated to 7 cm by 11:00 and I was convinced that it would be happening anytime. We took turns guessing how big Grayson would be.
Me: 7 pounds 5 ounces, 20.5 inches
Shaun: 7 pounds 1 ounce, 20 inches
My Mom: 7 pounds 5 ounces, 21 inches
Shaun's Mom: 6 pounds 8 ounces, 21 inches
Our nurse: 7 pounds 5 ounces, 21 inches
Once I was that dilated with Remy I went within the hour. Well, little Grayson wasn't very excited to get out of his warm little swimming pool and it took until 1:45 in the afternoon for me to be fully dilated. He was posterior and wouldn't move into my pelvis for those 2 1/2 hours but than he finally rolled over and he was ready to come out. Luckily I only had to push for 2 1/2 contractions and the little boy came right out. His official birth time was 2:07 pm. It is amazing how small they are, you really do forget how tiny they are.

The picture of Grayson on the scale is not very good, Shaun was so excited that he took the picture with his phone and forgot to take one with the camera. Grayson was 6 pounds 10 ounces. Remy was a little bigger at 7 pounds 3 ounces. They both looked almost exactly the same. It was so crazy!! I was expecting them to look different but they really looked very similar. They even had the same hair, not much but not totally bald.

Here we are with our sweet little babe!! It just blows me away how much they look alike.


Grandma and Grandpa Isbell

Grandma and Grandpa Westergard

First bath

Just enjoying the warm heater.

It was nice to be able to just be me and Shaun with the new little baby for a few days. With Remy I felt guilty leaving him in the nursery during the night but I decided that I would have the nursery keep him at night and just bring him in for feedings. I actually slept better and felt more rested when I left the hospital. My parents and sisters watched Remy while we were in the hospital. Ashley has two boys as well who are 3 and 5. Ashley said that Remy just joined right in the routine. He would line up for his meals, bath, hair and teeth brushing. He loves the regimented life and quite frankly I think he was sad to come home and not have the two boys to hang out with.
My Mom and Sister brought Remy to see us in the hospital. I was really nervous for Remy to come and see me with another baby because Remy is very much a Momma's boy. Shaun went to see him earlier in the day and Remy wasn't even really interested. He was so excited to be running with the big kids that he just did his own thing. Once he got to the hospital he again wasn't really concerned in fact he was really having fun with my mom and sister. People had warned me that when I saw Remy for the first time after having the baby he would look so big to me. I was skeptical but it was true. He looked huge!!! I couldn't believe how big he had gotten over just a few hours. I still can't believe how big and grown up he is. We had Remy sit on my lap and Shaun brought little Grayson over to meet Remy. It was cute because Remy reached out and gave him a hug and kiss. It was like he already knew him. Remy already loves his little brother.

Our first family picture!!

The first night in the hospital Shaun slept on the little pull out bed in the hospital room. It was terribly uncomfortable and I kept telling him how nice the hospital bed actually was so he joined me half way through the night. They recently got new beds in the hospital and it was quite nice for a hospital bed. I think I talked the bed up to much though because Shaun wanted to sleep in it with me the next night. It was not so comfortable the second night.
Here is one of Grayson's favorite positions. Even when we would look at him with the ultrasound he would like his head all of the way back. Shaun calls him his little turtle because he looks like a turtle the way he holds his head. He is a very sweet boy and we love him so much already. He has been so mellow. He eats every 3-4 hours and is happy to just sit, well lay around the rest of the time. Remy also loves him and always wants to give him kisses or put his binky in. He is a blessing in our lives and we just love our boys. When we left the hospital Grayson had gotten down to 6 pounds 4 ounces which is normal but quickly got back up to 6 pounds 8 ounces at his 5 day, and 7 pounds 2 ounces at his 2 week appointment. He is a good little eater and a total joy.

5 comments:

Scott and Lindsey said...

He is absolutely beautiful! We are so happy for you guys:-) Hope everything is going good with two ...if you need anything PLEASE call me!

Anita said...

Congratulations, Becky! He's beautiful.

I can't believe you're nine months pregnant in that first photo! You look so little compared to a lot of the women I've seen.

Also, I've had women give me advice (not like I need it), and they recommend letting the baby go to the nursery too. They say that you need the rest in order to be able to function when you take the baby home. It's better for everyone involved, so don't feel bad.

Shannon Dooley said...

What a handsome little guy! Congratulations!!!!!

Aiden and Josh said...

He is very cute! I'm glad everything went smoothly for you!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! We are just so excited for you guys. I have a gift for you but I've just waiting for you guys to get settled. I'll probably come over sometime this week if that's ok! Your new little guys is so sweet. Congrats again!